Sunday, April 6, 2008

Alert, Pacific Justice Institute Junk Mail

Information via
LIFE of Florida homepage: http://lifeofflorida.blogspot.com/
Learning is for Everyone, Inc homepage & Forums: http://www.Learningis4everyone.org

Pacific Justice Institute junk mail
Quick, grab your purses, hold tight to your wallets! The vultures are
circling and the bottom feeders are out.
I just received -- and you may have, too, or perhaps soon will - a
letter in the mail from the Pacific Justice Institute offering me
(or rather, my husband -- leading me to wonder what mailing list that
was bought from since I do the majority of the homeschooling) "an
exclusive *opportunity* to have a direct impact on the case" by
giving them money.

So they're trying to tell me here in FL - or rather, scare me here in
FL -- a very homeschool friendly state, that parents "like you will
be subject to criminal sanctions, which could include the paying of
fines and the completion of state-mandated parent education classes
and counseling programs" if the CA decision isn't over-turned.

But wait -- there's more! PJI says "...THE POTENTIAL THREAT IS MUCH
WORSE" and "If this decision is upheld, the way will be paved for the
courts to remove children from the homes of non-compliant parents on
the grounds of "educational neglect"".

PJI further counsels me that if I believe that homeschooliing my
children is a Constitutional right that no one should have the poewr
to take away, then I'm urged to "prayerfully consider making a tax-
deductible contribution to PJI today."

Oh yeah, and in addition to my financial support, I could also sign
the petition. I -- or rather, my husband -- was also thanked in
advance for "all you're doing to preserve the religious freedom for
which so many fought, bled and died."

In case anyone here is fooled by this garbage, or has friends who
might be, please consider:

1) The CA case does NOT in any way affect homeschooling in FL, nor
will it. CA has no homeschooling law. We do. Our situations are
completely different. Private schools may want to keep an eye on the
situation, but homeschoolers are not facing any concerns here.

2) Anytime anyone tries to scare you first, and then follows up with
a plea for money to "protect" you, you can usually rest assured the
argument is flawed.

3)Categorical, and completely unsubstantiated, statements
like "parents like you *will* be subject to criminal sanctions" if
the CA case isn't reversed, followed by fear-mongering assertions of
having your children taken away by the state are misleading at best,
heinous laws and clear scam material at worst.

4)Suggesting that the best way to protect my constitutional right to
do something is to give someone else money is usually a reliable red
flag.

5) Another red flag is the assumption that by virtue of protecting
homeschool freedoms I'm actually "preserving religious freedoms" ,
which is true in one sense, but they're two separate issues being
tied together here for the purposes of evoking the additional
sensationalist imagery of those who "fought, bled and died."

Off to find out where they got my address, fire off a letter or two,
and blog my indignation somewhere. Like we don't have enough real
problems in the world.

No comments: