Monday, April 16, 2007

Resource: Octra-Tetra & Algebra

This is "Uncle Dan", the Algebra guy, and now also known as the
"OCTA-TETRA guy".

You see, I now have two very different projects: "Uncle Dan's
Algebra" and the "OCTA-TETRA Construction Set", so I'm writing to ask
about my posting two separate messages since some people who are
interested in one might not be interested in the other.

Newsflash – October 2006: Both "Uncle Dan's Algebra" and
"OCTA-TETRA" have been reviewed by Kris Price of "The Old Schoolhouse
Magazine."

ALGEBRA: I have found that very often a crisis develops when
homeschoolers reach the level of Algebra. The subject can be
difficult without the help of a teacher, and often the parents have
long forgotten their Algebra and are stumped when their kids need
help. That is why I made these videos. My motto is "It sure helps to
have a teacher!", and the videos are like having a teacher right there
in the home, a rewindable, instant-replayable teacher, me!! Folks are
most happy to receive my Free 180-page "Algebra Workbook" by e-mail
attachment. It took me mountains of hours to prepare, but I can send
it out with a simple click which doesn't cost me a penny. I'm glad to
be able to help people so easily, and sending out the Workbook helps
spread the word about my videos which are now also available on DVD.

OCTA-TETRA had made its official debut in May of 2004 at the
"Rethinking Education Conference" in Dallas. More recently, I was at
the "CHN Family Expo" in Riverside, California on June 10-11, 2005
leading an OCTA-TETRA activity for teens and pre-teens. My
"OCTA-TETRA Construction Set" had made the front cover of the
April/May issue of the CHN Magazine, and OCTA-TETRA was a big hit at
the Expo with kids building models non-stop over the course of the
2-day event. I e-mail out the files of my "OCTA-TETRA Instruction
Booklet" for Free to all who so request.

Since membership in your group is by approval, perhaps you would
be agreeable to forwarding these messages for me without my actually
becoming a member. I could join the group and then post the messages
myself, but you would have to approve my membership first; if I
joined, it would be from my yahoo address:
homespun4homeschoolers@yahoo.com

Since memberships and situations change, and since the kids are
always growing and progressing and ready for new things, I'd like to
come by about twice a year to ask about posting these messages.

Thanks,

Dan

…………………………………………………………………………….

The messages I would like to have posted are pasted in below.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



#1 ALGEBRA----

Subject: "Algebra Videos and Free Workbook",

Text of message:

We are homeschool parents of 8 kids – 6 down, 2 to go. My wife
and I have been teaching both inside and outside of schools for over
20 years.

I have prepared a series of videos (DVD) that teach ALGEBRA and
is specifically designed for homeschooling. I would like to invite
you to visit my web site:

http://www.homespun4homeschoolers.com

And I would be happy to e-mail my 180-page "Algebra Workbook" file
as a "free gift" to anyone who so requests by e-mailing me at:

uncledan@homespun4homeschoolers.com

The "Workbook" shows exactly what is covered in the video course,
but is a valuable tool in itself and a great "freebie".

Sincerely,

Dan Suttin:

Hot News - October 2006 – "Uncle Dan's Algebra" has been reviewed by
Kris Price of "The Old Schoolhouse Magazine". The review will
eventually be up on the TOS site, but now is accessible on Kris'
"homeschool blogger". Scroll down at:
http://homeschoolblogger.com/ClassicalEducation4Me/209494

Cool News - "Uncle Dan's Algebra" has been reviewed by Cindy Prechtel
of "Home Schooling from the Heart". To read review, visit:

http://www.homeschoolingfromtheheart.com/hsreviews/uncledan.html

NEWSFLASH: Uncle Dan's Algebra is now available on DVD.

……………………………………………………………………………………

#2 – "The OCTA-TETRA Construction Set"

Subject: "The OCTA-TETRA Construction Set - Free Instruction Booklet"

Text of message:

The "OCTA-TETRA Construction Set" is a hands-on, low-tech,
geometric building set for kids 10 years old and on upwards. It
teaches 3-D geometry, design principles, the discovery process, manual
dexterity, and more and more.

See the OCTA-TETRA section of my web site:
http://www.homespun4homeschoolers.com

Hot News: October 2006 -- The OCTA-TETRA Construction Set has
been reviewed by Kris Price of "The Old Schoolhouse Magazine". The
review will eventually be up on the TOS site, but now is accessible on
Kris' "homeschool blogger". Scroll down at:

http://homeschoolblogger.com/ClassicalEducation4Me/209028

Hotter News: December 2006 – OCTA-TETRA reviewed by Cindy
Prechtel of "Home Schooling from the Heart".

http://www.homeschoolingfromtheheart.com/hsreviews/octatetra.html

Cool News: I was at the "CHN Family Expo" in Riverside,
California on June10-11, 2005, leading an OCTA-TETRA activity for
teens and pre-teens. My "OCTA-TETRA Construction Set" had made the
front cover of the April/May issue of CHN Magazine, and OCTA-TETRA was
a big hit at the Expo with kids building models non-stop over the
course of the 2-day event.

OCTA-TETRA had made its official debut in May of 2004 at the
"Rethinking Education Conference" in Dallas. Hundreds saw the
spectacular OCTA-TETRA demonstration model as it developed there in
the lobby of the Harvey Hotel. One after another, first they said,
"Wow!" and then after a closer look, they said, "Cool!"

If you would like to receive the Free "Instruction Booklet",
just e-mail me at: uncledan@homespun4homeschoolers.com and request
that I e-mail you the "OCTA-TETRA Instruction Booklet" files. It's so
much more than just an instruction booklet; you get to come right
along with me as I proceed by trial and error, finding out what will
work or not work, making the impossible to be possible. Who would
think one could make cutting-edge discoveries in today's hi-tech world
using only paper and paper clips?

Pieces are now available for ordering. I have purchased the
"Accu-Cut" die-cutting machine to make pre-cut and pre-scored pieces.
Sections 17 and 18 of the "Instruction Booklet" are the "Catalog and
Price List" and explain how much the pieces will cost, and show how
many pieces are needed to build particular models, what would be
needed for a "starter set" on up to a "super-duper builder set".
Section 20 contains information about the shipping costs and also has
the "Order Form". Section 21 contains important updates concerning
the kind of paper clips to use, and also about the best way to fold
the OCTA-TETRA pieces. Once you have read through Section 21, you are
ready to order.

I wanted to remind everyone that I have set the minimum age at
about 10 or 11. This is because I have found that younger children
generally don't have the patience and skill to be able to slip the
paper clips properly into place. Even some older children might find
it difficult. Perhaps you might want to practice a bit with some
paper clips and paper at home even before ordering. I just don't want
any of the kids to feel frustrated because they finally got the pieces
and then found they didn't yet have the skill to assemble them.

Having said that, now I want to emphasize the "Up" part of "10 and
Up". It's the 13-year-olds, the 16-year-olds, the college students,
the moms, the dads, and the grandparents that are going to really
explode with OCTA-TETRA and build those really advanced models. It
ain't just for kids.

Welcome aboard,

Dan

No comments: