Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Recycle/Scrapbook Workshop, Kids 8-12, Albuquerque

Recycle scrapbook/paperart workshop for age-group 8 to 12years http://www.abqhomelearners.org/forum47/1116.html



at the Manzano Mesa Multi Generation Center at 501 Elizabeth St. S.E., Albuquerque (Near Eubank and Central) Phone: (505) 275-8731



on Friday April 13th (if you are superstitious, pretend to be Spanish, where Tuesday 13th is considered to be unlucky)



from 10 am to 11.30am (or sooner, if you have had enough).





What do you use when you make a scrapbook? All the pretty things you see at Michaels, Jo-Anne and the paper departments of the big stores, right? The results are usually lovely, but often costly and not always very personal.



I have a different way of scrapbooking and it starts with the way we see things as beautiful and useful or ugly and useless. In this workshop I will try and teach kids to look at things around the house in a different manner. We will make beautiful layouts using mainly discarded materials, like wrapping paper, brown paper bags, paint leftovers, paint chips, old broken jewelery, push-pins, eye shadow, dried flowers and an endless list of things that would not normally come to mind when you think scrapbooking.



We will talk about what beautiful is and how you can open your eyes to beauty in places where you would not usually give it a second glance, like an oilstain on a puddle or a rusty piece of metal. After that I will talk about materials I have used, where I usually look for my materials (garage sales, my father�s and husband�s shed, my mom�s sewing supplies and attic, thrift stores, hardware stores, garden centers, office stores, dollar stores, nature etc.)



We will talk a bit about paper, glues, sealers and such and we will end by making something pretty using primarily non scrapbook related and discarded materials. Don�t worry, I draw the line at raiding dumpsters :0)))



I will make sure to bring plenty of examples of my own work to clarify what I am talking about and to inspire the kids before they start raiding your house and sheds.



If there is enough participation and the kids like this first class, I will set up follow up classes in which we will make brown paper baggy photo albums or journals, or we will make some recycle art using for example Lay�s cans or soup cans, old CDs, telephone cards and a whole lot of stuff we would usually just toss out.



Fringe benefit of this art form is that you keep materials out of the recycle circuit and can use them as little very personal gifts to family and friends.



This way of scrapping is NOT lignen and acid free. It is not about archieving and preserving photos. It is pure art, creativity and having a good time, changing the way you look at things and making art and scrapbooking acessible to every budget.



Not everybody likes what I do. Maybe NOBODY likes what I do. It might not be you or your child at all. So, to have an idea how I work and what I make, be sure to check out my gallery at ScrapJazz. I have been lax in uploading anything recently, too busy homeschooling, but you can get a good idea of what I mean when I speak of junk scrapping, vintage scrapping, recycle scrapping, altered art and such.



http://www.scrapjazz.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10945





I do strongly encourage boys to participate in this workshop. From my own experience with my son, they love to craft and use their imagination and this kind of scrapping is not specifically �gurly�, as you will see. Moms and dads are very welcome to sit down and craft with their kids. It is a wonderful hobby to share.



I will bring material from my own stash to use, but it would be great if you could bring your own gluestick, scissors, one or two photos you want to use on the layout, an old magazine, old powder eyeshadow, dried flowers, pretty postcards, pretty used wrapping paper, whatever you think you might want to use. Don�t look at it as what it was meant for, look at it and decide if it is pretty or not. Anything goes, I have used flattened Mug Rootbeer cans at times.



Oh, and I don�t know about here, but in the Netherlands, M&Ms are a staple at crops and scrapbook get togethers, so I will bring those, plain chocolate for those with peanut allergies AND peanut filled for those who can eat that. If you want to bring a baggie of your own favorite candy, feel free to.



If you want to join me, please reply http://www.abqhomelearners.org/forum47/1116.html, let me know howmany you will be participating. Hope to see you all there.



Ginou

No comments: