Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Webresource: Free or Inexpensive Professional Speech Therapy

From the ThriftyHomeschooler Yahoo Group:

Free or Inexpensive Professional Speech Therapy


Fri Nov 9, 2007 6:02 am (PST)

Dear Thrifty Homeschoolers,

I've got a couple more replies on the speech therapy question to share with
you:

*****************

I missed this email initially, but can you please forward this to the
original questioner? I was a SLP major in college.
If you live near a college that has a speech Language pathology program, they
often offer therapy with the graduate students. SLP is a master’s degree
program and large numbers of clinical hours are needed for both the Grad’s and
undergrads. It is usually free or for a very low fee, and there is the benefit of
having more than one therapist at the same time and their advisor at your
disposal. It is a way to avoid the school system but not have to shell out a ton
of cash.
Thanks
************************************
My older son (at 6 years old) was recommended to speech therapy by a doctor,
but due to the expensive price we did not go.
I bought/have 2 audio CD's called Speechercise. (I think they were $12 each
from CD Universe). They are speech and mouth movement drills (set to music) to
work on pronouncing/articulation. Unfortunately my sons do not enjoy it, but
I tell them the more they work at this the less they will have to practice.
We can do this in the van while driving. I do it with them and sometimes
wonder if anyone is watching me at traffic lights.
There were also some books I checked out from the library. Be careful, some
of the library books were a lot of technical, but not much practical. One
(can't think of the name, sorry) had sample sentences to say to practice certain
sound combinations.
He is now 8 and still has some trouble sounds, but getting better.

**********************************

No comments: