Saturday, January 5, 2008

HSing Family Biking from Alaska to Argentina

Check out this homeschooling family, from another group I am on but here is their website:

http://www.familyonbikes.org

Hi everybody! The message said that I needed to introduce myself, so
I figured I better do that!

My name is Nancy and I am currently living in Boise, Idaho. I am not
homeschooling my boys right now, but will start again in June. We
homeschooled them for third grade, put them in school for fourth, and
will homeschool them through middle school (at least).

Our reason for homeschooling is probably different from most people's,
but it works for us. We will be taking off in June to ride our bikes
from Alaska to Argentina - a journey that will take approximately 2
1/2 years! My husband will captain a tandem bike, and we will have
two single bikes - I'll ride one and the kids will switch back and
forth between the tandem and the other single bike. We are REALLY
excited about heading out again!

On this trip we will be volunteering with Reach the World to help
bring the world to kids in inner city schools. We will be posting
info about our journey and the kids in the classrooms will use our
journey as their curriculum. It should be a great educational
opportunity!!

We took the boys out of third grade to ride bikes around the USA and
Mexico - ended up pedaling 9300 miles through 19 US states and 4
Mexican states! It was a wonderful journey and we all learned so much.

So - my approach to homeschooling is very different from most
people's. We are very relaxed about their education - we figure they
learn more traveling around like this than they ever could learn from
textbooks. We do have them write in their journals a couple times
each week and we read a lot - carry a small library on the bikes!!
All the science and social studies comes from the journey itself. For
math, we will carry some workbooks and I hope the kids finish them
quickly so we can get rid of htem!!

I guess that's about everything there is to know about me! (Oh yeah -
and we will also carry our dog, Dash, with us on the trip!!)

No comments: