Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Parent Review: Time4Learning, my story

Tabitha,
I volunteered to share my experience with Time4Learning. Will you post this for me please?

Most of you reading this will have never seen my name before. I'm not one to post on every subject or get involved in every special event. In fact I'm what would be defined as an "accidental homeschooler". I have a child that is extremely gifted, let's leave it at that. When it came time to begin preschool, it was a disaster. As he got older, it got worse. The State of New Mexico doesn't have the resources to support a child like him (their words). Therefore I started homeschooling, in spite of the fact that I have a full time job. Enough with the background noise, the point is this...

A few months back, as I chased down yet another seemingly random lead on the computer to help me educate my son, I came across a website called www.time4learning.com. I took the tour, fully expecting another flop. That is NOT what I found. Instead I found a fully interactive core curriculum based website that caters to children from K-8 grade. The scope of subject matter is amazing, jumping from the basics, Reading (phonics based) Writing and Arithmetic to an entire lesson on Spiders, followed by a helping of the History of our Flag, chased down with the Continents and the Oceans that separate them. Oh yeah and did I fail to mention that this was 2nd grade?

This program was obviously designed by people who honestly care and have put a ton of time and energy into creating visual learning in a way that would cost a fortune for any of us to try to create in our homes. The flexibility is perfect, allowing for one grade level up or down in any given subject at any time. If your child is having a little trouble they can back up, revisit a topic they are not secure with, or move up if the material is something they've already learned. And if you have a special circumstance? Say a child that needs to skip ahead four grades in Math? They'll can take care of that for you too! The lessons are broken down in such a way that your child can do it in very small bites, one piece at a time, not moving forward before they're ready. There are quizzes at the end of each section and a video playground for the younger kids when lessons are done.

For the parents, there is a full set of lesson plans for each grade level, complete with scope and sequence, so it's easy enough to be sure everything is getting covered. There are printable reports that make following your child's progress simple. (they are also useful for tracking your 180 days of learning) There are resource links attached to many of the lessons for printable worksheets if you feel your child needs more of a particular topic. There is a parent's forum so you can kibitz with others or ask questions, advice etc. There are Help and Hints buttons. You name it, they've thought of it. Believe me, I take my son's education very seriously, using Time4Learning was not a decision made out of convenience. It also had nothing to do with cost, although time4learing only charges $19.95 a month. I spend that just walking through the door of our local school supply store!

Go on their site, take a look around. When you've done that, sign up for the free two week trial. Then sit back and watch, but don't watch the screen. Watch your child's face as they rediscover learning, learning the way it should be, without indisciminate timetables and unreasonable demands. You'll be amazed, I am everyday.

Shari Linsley
(505)235-8285
saturn_soup@yahoo.com

No comments: